The Head Start Policy Council (PC) is the community and Head Start parents’ voice in major program decisions such as recruitment, selection, personnel policies, budgets and funding proposals.
Each classroom elects a parent as the PC Representative and one alternate. The Community Representatives are also elected to participate. When a Community Representative vacancy occurs, an advertisement is published in the Daily Comet and Lafourche Gazette newspapers and on the Lafourche Parish website's Board Vacancies page. All applications are submitted to the Governing Board (Lafourche Parish Council) for selection, then to the Policy Council for approval. A Lafourche Parish Councilman may be appointed by the Parish President to serve as a liaison between the Lafourche Parish Council and Lafourche Parish Head Start. The term limit for a representative is three 1-year terms. Currently, the PC is made up of five Community Representatives and eight Parent Representatives.
The Policy Council meets once a month at a date and time set by the Policy Council each year. Currently, the board meets every third Monday of the month at 5:00 p.m. at the Mathews Government Complex.
Head Start offers support and trainings to the Policy Council. Trainings are held monthly with an additional annual training. Governing Board and Policy Council handbooks are given to each member.
Transportation reimbursement and childcare are offered to all income-eligible Policy Council members for the monthly meetings.
Some of the responsibilities of a PC member are:
- Attend Parent Committee meetings and to represent parent concerns to the PC
- Be informed and keep parents informed about issues facing the PC
- Attend meetings regularly
- To advocate for the best interest of all Head Start families
- Attend trainings and share the information with other parents
- To work in partnership with key management staff and governing body to develop, review, and approve or disapprove Head Start functions